Why should I go to a neurologist if I have a slipped disc?

Back and neck pain are common, usually harmless and subside within a few days. However, if you experience strong pain which doesn’t respond well to pain relievers, or functional losses in your arms and legs, such as tingling, numbness or muscle weakness, it is sensible to go to a neurologist. He or she can – often in cooperation with your general practitioner, orthopaedist or neurosurgeon – determine the precise location of damage and the extent of the nerve root irritation, and in this way decisively contribute to the further therapeutic course (e.g. a necessary operation).